I’m tired and I feel absolutely disgusting.
You know, some people might find it depressing that kids these days are constantly on the internet or listening to music or whatever, but I find it far more depressing that I have experienced pretty awful light pollution in the middle of nowhere from streetlights and in the middle of a province-wide blackout because some hack figured that the pointless lights on our building were more important than keeping the building heated.
Some neat alt-history ideas:
- Asoka does not convert to Buddhism. India builds a global empire in 300 BCE.
- North America and China have established trade by the 12th Century. When Christopher Columbus and his lot come, they find a continent of people armed with iron weapons and gunpowder.
- The Romans win the Battle of Teutoberg Forest. Germania becomes part of the Roman Empire, which continues on along the Baltic coast, and the Germanic languages are crushed and replaced with Romantic ones.
- The Mongols do not retreat after the death of their Khan. They push on and conquer western Poland and beyond.
- Alexander II is not assassinated. The Russian Revolution is avoided.
- Any one of the world’s prophets (Zarathustra, Siddhartha, Jesus, Mohammed) is unable to spread his word. Zoroastrianism/Buddhism/Christianity/Islam does not exist.
- Empress Cixi names a competent heir. The Qing dynasty is not overthrown in 1911.
- German delegates negotiate the terms of the Treaty of Versailles. The National Socialist Party does not come into power.
- Egyptian worldview is less insider-focused. They form an empire at the height of the Middle Kingdom.
- William the Conqueror is defeated at the Battle of Hastings. The effects on history are incalculable.